Monday, March 10, 2008

Is the FreeCreditReport.com credit report free?

I have been curious if in fact the FreeCreditReport.com credit report is actually free. I went to their website today to see what would happen when I order a credit report through them. I thought I might have a shot until they asked me for my credit card number on the second screen. It is free but you are automatically enrolled in their credit monitoring program for a free for 7 day trial. If you don't cancel, you will be charged a monthly fee.

Below are the terms for the program taken right off of their website.

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7 day trial period, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel at any time to discontinue the membership and stop the monthly billing; however, you will not be eligible for a pro-rated refund of your current month's paid membership fee.

I'm not saying that it is right or wrong to to market a product this way, you just need to be informed about what is so with FreeCreditReport.com. Credit Monitoring is a useful product. So if you are looking to get credit monitoring, you might as well get a credit report as well to see if there is anything on there that is not supposed to be on there. So the answer is yes it is free with conditions.

For articles on credit scores and credit scoring go to GetPrequalified.com

No comments: